Sunday, March 1, 2015

Minor Sweater Surgery: Fledgling Featherweight



This year, I've decided my goal is to knit and spin through all the yarn in my stash before I buy anything new. First thing on my list is to finish any unfinished objects hiding out in my closet. Last May I started knitting the fledgling featherweight by Hannah Fettig of Knitbot. This little cardigan was top priority as little people grow rather quickly, and who knows how much longer Sadie will be able to wear it. I knit the size 2, and the pattern is sized from age 2 to 12 years.

I put it away months ago when I only had one sleeve cuff and the collar band left to knit. I was frustrated because I didn't like the way the cuffs were knitting up. It was so sloppy and uneven and I was dropping stitches all over the place. The gauge was so loose that it was difficult to easily fix mistakes, or see them for that matter. I knit the body of the garment with size 6 Addi Turbo Lace needles which seemed to work well with the looser gauge the pattern requires. The problem happened when I switched to my Clover bamboo DPNs (double-pointed needles) to knit the sleeves in the round. You can see from the picture above a distinct line on the sleeve where the stitches begin to look a lot sloppier than the rest of the garment, especially the cuff ribbing.  


After washing and blocking the cardigan, I realized there was only one solution: re-knit the cuffs. 


I picked up stitches in the row directly below the ribbing.


I cut off the bind-off row and carefully unraveled back to my needles. This was not easy as the yarn, Malabrigo Lace Merino, is extremely sticky, especially after washing it. I then reknit the cuff with size 3 DPNs from Knit Picks in their rainbow wood. I used fresh yarn to knit these as the yarn I unraveled was felted and fuzzy and no longer very pretty. Not a big deal as I had plenty of yarn left. 


Huge difference, and I'm much happier with the result. 

Both cuffs re-knit with the waste yarn I cut off.


Oh, what a difference 3 needle sizes makes. It also had a lot to do with the slickness (or lack thereof) of the different types of needles. I have to say that at this point in my knitting journey, I definitely prefer nickel-plated needles to wood. Knit Picks rainbow wood needles aren't bad as they are a lot slicker than some of the plain bamboo ones out there. 


Great fit on my 28-lb 2-year-old. 


Yarn is Malabrigo Lace Merino in Damask Rose.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, Joanna, great job! So much work for a little sweater! You have such patience. 💗👏👏👏👍👍👍

    ReplyDelete
  2. “Benjamin Briel Lee was very professional at all times, keeping me aware of everything that was happening, If I had any questions he was always available to answer. This was my first home purchase, I didn’t know much about the loan process, he made it very easy to understand the things I had questions about. I really enjoyed working with him.”  
    He's a loan officer working with a group of investor's who are willing to fund any project or loan you any amount with a very low interest.Contact Benjamin Briel Lee E-Mail: 247officedept@gmail.com  Whats-App Number: +1-989-394-3740.

    ReplyDelete